Ontmusic10. What is singing?
Wikipedia on Singing: "Singing is the act of producing musical sounds with the voice, and augments regular speech by the use of sustained tonality, rhythm, and a variety of vocal techniques."
Is this a good definition for singing?
- Isn't it inappropriate to insert the phrase "musical sounds" into the definition for singing?
- Can one sing something that isn't music?
- Is singing exclusively limited to making music?
- Do birds make music?
- Do birds sing, even if they are not making music?
- Can one sing without using the voice?
- What is the voice?
- Can one make musical sounds with the voice, but not be singing?
- Can one be singing, but not making musical sounds?