Dr. David C. Ring is founder of PhilosophyOfJazz.net begun in March, 2016.
He was born in Guelph, Ontario, Canada in 1952, but lived most of his pre-college years in Auburn, Maine where he graduated from Edward Little High School in 1970.
Dr. Ring received his B.A. in philosophy from Cornell University (Ithaca, NY) in 1974. His M.A. (1980) and Ph.D. (1987) in philosophy are from the University of Wisconsin-Madison (1974-1982), with a minor in psychology and the history of science. His dissertation was titled "Material Falsity, Objective Reality, and Representation in Descartes's Theory of Ideas." (Major advisor: Professor Terry Penner)
He has taught in the Philosophy departments at the following schools:
* University of Wisconsin-Madison
* University of Texas at Austin
* University of Texas at Arlington
* Southern Methodist University (Dallas, TX)
* North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC)
* Executive Secretarial School (Dallas, TX)
* Pasadena City College (Pasadena, CA)
* Long Beach City College (Long Beach, CA)
* California State University Long Beach
* Cerritos College (Cerritos, CA)
* Orange Coast College (Costa Mesa, CA)
He retired after teaching for fifteen years as a full professor at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, CA in 2015. His musical heroes include Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix among many others. He currently resides with his wife and three dogs in Los Angeles county.